What have you learned as an EMT?
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) students complete a course that is a minimum of 170 hours in length. … Other skills the EMT will learn include oxygen administration, bag valve mask ventilations, delivery of a newborn, and even administration of several medications.
What are 5 skills that would be important for an EMT?
While technology has improved and streamlined emergency care, here are the five essential skills needed for all paramedics and emergency medical technicians (EMTs).
- Teamwork. …
- Ability to navigate challenging situations. …
- Think creatively. …
- Mental toughness. …
- Situational awareness.
What skills does an EMT have?
- Compassion. EMTs and paramedics must be able to provide emotional support to patients in an emergency, especially patients who are in life-threatening situations or extreme mental distress.
- Interpersonal skills. …
- Listening skills. …
- Physical strength. …
- Problem-solving skills. …
- Speaking skills.
What is good about being an EMT?
Diverse Opportunities – Earning an EMT certification is a good way to find work on an ambulance, as a firefighter, or as ski patrol. This professional certification can open lots of doors. Helping People – EMTs help people who need medical care. Working as an EMT is a rewarding way to make a living.
What is life like as an EMT?
An EMT’s normal day consists of least sleep possible, outdoors most of the time and being the first one to respond to a 9-1-1 call even at 3 am! An Emergency Medical Technician’s Typical Day could include; Ensuring that the ambulance/vehicle is safe to drive and fully equipped for any emergency situation!
What do you need to become an EMT?
To become an EMT, you’ll need a high school diploma or GED credential. EMTs must earn CPR certification before enrolling in a postsecondary emergency medical technology program. These programs last 1-2 years and do not confer degrees.
What qualities make a good paramedic?
Key skills for paramedics
- Strong communication skills.
- Empathy and care for others.
- The ability to make swift decisions and stay calm under pressure.
- A good level of physical fitness.
- Navigational and driving skills.
Why I like being an EMT?
The exciting part is not waiting for someone to have a bad day, it is being able to be there when someone does have a bad day, sometimes the worst in their life. “The hardest job you will ever love” is a motto that I will always live by. … I love the feeling of satisfaction that comes with assisting anyone that needs it.
Why do you want to be an EMS?
One of the best reasons to join the Emergency Medical Services, is that you get to help people. You can literally be a lifesaver. This can be a rewarding job, especially when you save people. You will be the first person (along with your colleagues) who is on the scene in case of some one who is in an emergency.
What are some pros and cons of being an EMT?
What are the pros and cons of being an EMT?
- Pro: Training is much faster than many other medical professions.
- Con: Being an EMT is labor intensive.
- Pro: You’ll have job stability and room to grow.
- Con: EMT’s are also under a lot of mental strain.
- Pro: Despite the turmoil, it’s an exciting career.